In general, the best time to visit Vietnam is from October to April. At this time, temperatures are not too hot on average throughout all Vietnam and the weather is generally dry. However, given that the country stretches over 1000 km from north to south, there is not really a better time to visit Vietnam, but different periods depending on the regions you want to visit. Indeed, Vietnam being divided into 3 parts (North, Central and South), all these regions have different climates.
The monsoon period in Vietnam is in summer with periods of different rainy seasons in Northern, Central and Southern Vietnam. Indeed, the monsoon in Northern Vietnam runs from July to September. The monsoon in Central Vietnam will begin later, from September to November. The rainy season begin in the month of July in the South and stop in September/October.
Here is a summary of the best time to visit Vietnam in each part of the country:
Best time to visit Northern Vietnam
- From October to April: the weather is dry and not too hot. It is the best time to visit Northern Vietnam and it is also the peak tourist season. In December and January, the temperature in the north may be between 15 and 17 ° C. Note that in the mountains of Vietnam such as Sapa or Ha Giang, the temperature can drop below 5 ° C in December and January.
- From May to June: The weather is dry at this time but it is the hottest time in the Northern Vietnam with temperatures of up to 38 ° C for several days
- From July to September: This is the monsoon season (rainy season) in Northern Vietnam. This is not the best time to visit Northern Vietnam. It does not rain every day but the risk is showers is high.
Note: In the mountains of Northern Vietnam, rice is planted in June and harvested in September. It is therefore in summer that the rice terraces are the most beautiful but this period also corresponds to the monsoon period. From October to May, rice fields are fallow and fog is common in Sapa.
Best time to visit Central Vietnam
- From January to April: the weather is dry in Central Vietnam. This is the best time to visit Central Vietnam. Note that it is always hot in Central Vietnam at this time with temperatures are between 27 and 33 ° C.
- From May to August: It’s summer in Central Vietnam. It can be very hot. Note that during this period, many Vietnamese enjoy school holidays to go to the beach. The beaches are therefore often crowded.
- From September to December: This is the monsoon season (rainy season) in Central Vietnam. This is not the best time to visit Central Vietnam.
Best time to visit Southern Vietnam
- From October to April: This is the dry season during this period in Southern Vietnam. It is hot all year round in Southern Vietnam (30-33 ° C).
- From May to October: It is rainy season with an intensification of the rains in the months of July and August.